25 Facts About Me (Including Where I Got This Dress!)
This year, I turned 25 whole years old. Sure, it's not like I won a McArthur Genius Grant or met the Pope, but I'm pretty excited to really, officially be an adult. For posterity's sake—which is something adults say when they just mean "for the hell of it"—I thought I'd share a few things you might not know about me.
Do adults even still share fun facts about themselves? Oh well, here's 25 of them!
1. I’ll cry at pretty much anything. Don't believe me? I cried in the FIRST TWO MINUTES of Secret Life of Pets.
2. I’ve still never smoked a cigarette. When I told my mom—instead of being PROUD of me—she said, “How about marijuana?”
...I plead the fifth.
3. My childhood bedroom is still Pepto-Bismol pink (but are any of us really surprised by that?)
4. I’m an only child and both of my parents are remarried. I never got away with ANYTHING.
5. My earliest memory of music involves playing La Bouche cassettes with my mom over and over and over again...and then over again some more.
6. I was/am that loser at sleepovers who is the first to go to bed and first to wake up in the morning.
7. I really, truly love being alone. I’ve lived alone for the last three years and I honestly have no idea how I’ll be able to live with someone else in the future. I wrote a whole post about it here.
8. I’m pretty sure the “basic math” part of my brain must have atrophied. I blame my 6th grade math teacher who always called in sick; she never gave me the foundation I needed to become a world-class mathematician! If that's a thing.
9. My dream job would be hosting a docu-series on global women’s issues. There are so many incredible topics I’d love to explore and I’d love to put myself outside of my comfort zone in other countries.
10. Some of my favorite movies include: Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, This is Spinal Tap, Get Out, Little Miss Sunshine, Almost Famous, Marie Antoinette (guilty pleasure).
11. I was a big theatre geek in high school. I won a state championship for dramatic interpretation and was part of the state winning cast of 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee! Yeah, I peaked back then.
12. My name is pronounced “air-ee-ehl”. I’ll probably never correct you though...unless you call me “ah-ree-elle”...because it’s definitely not that.
13. I can’t stand most porous surfaces. I'm not sure why...I think it has something to do with my brain hating the unevenly distributed circles? If anyone knows, please tell me why!
14. I took PE online in high school.
15. My favorite TV character is Liz Lemon from 30 Rock.
16. Storytelling is in my blood: my grandfather was the announcer for the Georgia Bulldogs in the 1960s; my dad wrote a book and is working on his second one; my mom has worked in radio and television for her entire adult life!
17. In grade school, boys used to call me “caterpillar eyebrows”...I like to think I was just 10+ years ahead of today’s trends.
18. I’ve always gone by Ariel, but it’s actually my middle name.
19. The only time I ever snuck out of my house, I accidentally punched in the wrong alarm code and called the police on myself. They were there before I got the end of the driveway.
20. My freshman year at Georgia Tech, a professor encouraged us to write about a piece of technology and how it influenced society. I wrote about the bra and decided to get creative with my presentation: I put my paper in a folder, cut out the backside of a real bra, hooked it around the front of the folder, and placed it in a Victoria’s Secret bag. I got an A+.
21. My favorite scents usually have Bergamot in them. I’m not entirely sure what Bergamot is.
21. If I had a theme song, it would be Let's Dance by David Bowie.
22. I was a high school cheerleading captain.
23. But I also competed in spelling bees...life's about balance.
24. Coffee makes my teeth hurt. Is this a medical condition? I’m scared to look it up on WebMD.
25. I went from failing classes at Georgia Tech to being the commencement speaker at my graduation. I mention this not to brag but to remind you that you can ALWAYS change your life if you open up and ask for help from others. You can watch me get all weird and teary-eyed about it here. (see fact #1)
I hope you enjoyed learning a little bit about me! Now, I'd love to learn more about you. Share something with me in the comments below or send me a DM!